Posterior Vitreous Detachment

viteousdetachmentVitreous fluid is the liquid that occupies most of our eye. Essentially it is a transparent jelly which consists of 98% water and the remaining 2% is collagen and sugars. This fluid is what helps the eye maintain its spherical shape. Over time, and as we age, the vitreous fluid cannot keep its form and it becomes fluidized, and because of its irregular texture, the risk of becoming detached from its natural supports is extremely high.

As it turns out, middle-aged people are more prone to show detachment of vitreous fluid (especially people over the age of 60) as well as people with myopia or people with detachment on one of the two eyes. Generally speaking, the removal of the vitreous does not appear to threaten vision. Individuals with symptoms such as those associated with a possible detachment should immediately visit their ophthalmologist as these symptoms may accompany more severe conditions such as retinal cracking or vitreous hemorrhage. While the vitreous detachment is not a threat to vision, as stated above, a full detachment from the retina will disturb the balance of the eye and increases the chances of detaching the retina which can lead to more severe conditions.

A posterior detachment of the vitreous causes flashes, shadows and spotting on vision.

No special treatment is required unless the doctor detects cracks in the retina. These cracks are treated with a simple laser.